Difference Between Brandy And Whiskey
What's the Difference between Brandy and Whiskey?
Many people think brandy and whiskey are interchangeable, but there are actually some big differences between the two. Here are four of the main differences:
1. Brandy is made from wine, while whiskey is made from grain.
2. Brandy is typically aged in oak barrels, while whiskey can be aged in barrels made from different types of wood.
3. Brandy is typically sweeter than whiskey.
4. Brandy has a higher alcohol content than whiskey. (or can*)
1. Brandy is made from grapes, while whiskey is made from grain.
Brandy is typically made from grapes while whiskey is most often made from rye, barley, or corn.
2. The Distillation Process & Storage Is Very Different
The distillation process: Both brandy and whiskey undergo distillation, but brandy also goes through a process called "double distillation." This means that the fermented grape juice is distilled twice in order to achieve a higher alcohol content. Brandy is aged in oak barrels for at least 2 years ( although some brandies are aged for much longer) while whiskey must be aged for a minimum of 3 years in order to be legally sold as such.
3. Brandy is typically sweeter than whiskey .
Another way that brandy and whiskey differ is in their sweetness levels. Generally speaking, brandy is sweeter than whiskey because it's made from wine. The fermentation process that's used to make whiskey can give it a slightly bitter taste that some people enjoy Brandy has a higher alcohol content than does whiskey .
Its tough to interchange these drinks in a cocktail, as they vary greatly! It is not adviseable to do so, maybe on a larger scale where the flavours can be slightly diluted.(like in a large drink mixer for a party, for example)
4. Brandy has a higher alcohol content than whiskey.
Finally , another big difference between these two spirits has to do with their alcohol content . On average , brandy has a higher alcohol content than does whiskey or bourbons. But this is not always the case anymore with alot more boubons being higher content over the past 5 years or so.